Sunday, July 3, 2011

Update

The past few weeks, my life has been a whirlwind of emotions.  Most everyone knows that my mom was killed in a car accident on Monday the 20th.  This was extremely tragic for our family because we were all so close and she was the most amazing person we all have ever known.  I spent that week going through memorial arrangements, coordinating with family and just "getting through" it all.  Despite everything, I decided to not delay my treatment for my thyrooid cancer, so I got off my thyroid medication and started my low iodine diet last Sunday.  On Monday I did bloodwork and met wtih my endocrinologist for a check up.  That day they said my thyroid levels had alread dropped enough for me to start the radioactive iodine treatment.  They referred me to the Nuclear Medicine Group through the hospital where I will have an initial consultation and be givin the radioactive iodine.  This is currently scheduled for July 12th - consultation and July 13th - pill administration.  The reason it is taking so long is that is the only time the doctor was available.  I have to go through a scheduling person to do this, so don't actually talk to people in the department.  Since I don't want to be tired for that long, I plan to call the department on Tuesday to see if they can fit me in any sooner.  I was feeling pretty good up until yesterday, but now I am really wearing down.  Each day I have to sleep in and when Mikayla takes her nap, I do too.  Whenever I get tired my brain gets fuzzy, so I start to forget things.  I am thankful because I have friends who are bringing me dinners every day so I don't have to worry about what I am eating, which is absolutely wonderful!

This past Thurday I had my follow-up appointment with the surgeon at the Mayo clinic and he was pleased with my healing, especially my voice.  It is coming back really well, which is encouraging.

The only way I am making it through this difficult time is because of my relationship with God, and support from my husband, family, and friends.  This is not something one can do on thier own.  I am tired and broken, but I am ok.  I am blessed by the love and encouragement that is surrounding me now and I know my mom is watching over me.  Every day is different and has new challenges, but I am making it through and looking forward to the end of July when I have my energy back.  Much love to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment