It would be nice if I just had to deal with the thyroid cancer, however, I still have some investigation that needs to be done on what is going on with my parathyroid glands. Your parathyroid glands are 4 tiny glands about the size of rice that regulate the calcium in your body. Primary hyperparathyroidism is caused by enlargement of one or more of the parathyroid glands. This leads to too much parathyroid hormone, which raises the level of calcium in the blood. My parathyroid issue was detected because my bloodwork showed high calcium. This Thrusday I have a parathyroid scan to see if they can detect any enlarged parathyroid glands. After this scan, my endocrinologist will do an ultrasound to compare it to the scan to determine what the issue is.
In the mean time, I am meeting with surgeons to discuss the surgery. I met with one surgeon yesterday and have an appointment with another on May 9th. No dates will be set for surgery until we determine the condition of my parathyroid glands. I will defineately keep everyone posted on when that date will be!!!
First surgeon I met with - Dr. David Whitley (someone I knew from church) http://www.brevardentcenter.com/physicians/index.php
Second surgeon I will meet with on the 9th - Dr. Joseph Gurri (recommended by my Endocrinologist)
http://www.mima.com/physicians.aspx?id=79
Hyperparathyroidism
http://www.endocrineweb.com/conditions/hyperparathyroidism/hyperparathyroidism
No comments:
Post a Comment