Friday, April 29, 2011

The News

This past week I was diagnosed with Papillary Carcinoma (cancer of the thyroid) and Primary HyperParathyroidism (a parathyroid gland condition that causes too much calcium in the body).  Definately not news you expect to hear a month before your 30th birthday!  Fortunately these issues are treatable with surgery and a radioactive iodine treatment (no chemo thank goodness!!!!).  This week has been a whirlwind of research and scheduling appointments with surgeons and follow up scans etc.  Needless to say I think I have been in a fog all week!  All in all, I am not fearful of the future because of my faith in God.  I truly know in my heart that He will be with me through everything and it will all turn out how it should.  I am extremely thankful for the AMAZING support system He has blessed me with - my family, friends, and coworkers.  I am blessed to have so many people who love me and are praying for me.

I will be using this blog to keep all of my wonderful friends and family updated on my road to recovery.

Nicole found a neat blog on someone who accounted her experience with thyroid cancer - I found it really helpful to know what to expect about going through the treatment process.  Definately a good read.

http://hubpages.com/hub/A-Personal-Experience-With-Thyroid-Cancer

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for including the link to the blog by the woman who had thyroid cancer. I too found it to be informative. It reminded me of how isolated I felt when I had thyroid surgery in 1984. Information from the internet would have made such a difference for me. Though one must be careful about generalizing information from one source, this is a great example of the good that may come from sharing experiences. Way to go, Nicole and Sandra! Blessings, Aunt Carol

    ReplyDelete